No. 2 Mississippi Gulf Coast moved up a spot in the final round of the Dan York Memorial Tournament in Jasper, Ala., on Tuesday, and finished second in a tough field.
The Bulldogs were one of two teams to finish under par in the 54-hole tournament at 2-under, 14 shots back of Central Alabama.
"We played well today," Gulf Coast coach Tommy Snell said. "We had to count a 75, but we weren't going to catch Central Alabama anyway. We thought catching Calhoun for second in our first tournament is a pretty big deal for us. We beat Wallace on their home track."
Gulf Coast's Jake Crosson (So., New Hope/Columbus) show even- or below-par all three days, finishing a 3-under in fifth. Jon Hopkins (So., Hockerill Anglo-European College/Bishop's Stortford, England) was sixth after a final-round 69.
Nathan Woolard (So., Poplar Bluff/Poplar Bluff, Mo.) shot the Bulldogs' lowest round of the tournament with a 68. He tied for 11th.
The 11-team tournament included just two teams from NJCAA Division II. Gulf Coast is ranked second in the country in the Bushnell Golfweek NJCAA Division II Coaches Poll. Meridian was the only other MACJC school in the tournament, and the seventh-ranked Eagles finished in sixth.
Central Alabama is ranked second in Division I. No. 5 Eastern Florida finished fifth, No. 8 Calhoun was third and No. 10 Wallace State, the hosts, were fifth.
"First time out, I'm extremely pleased," Snell said. "I don't like finishing second, but sometimes second is good in golf."
1. Central Alabama 278-283-275—836 (-16)
2. Gulf Coast 285-282-283—850 (-2)
3. Calhoun 283-282-293—858 (+6)
4. Eastern Florida State 289-290-281—860 (+8)
5. Wallace State 289-289-289—867 (+15)
6. Meridian 298-284-290—872 (+20)
7. Coastal Alabama 295-282-296—873 (+21)
8. Georgia Military 298-298-293—889 (+37)
9. Jefferson State 305-293-295—893 (+41)
10. Snead State 303-292-305—900 (+48)
11. Georgia Military (B) 307-312-314—933 (+81)
12. Wallace State (B) 316-312-313—941 (+89)
13. Northeast Alabama 338-331-346—1015 (+163)
5. Jake Crosson 70-69-71—210 (-3)
6. Jon Hopkins 72-70-69—211 (-2)
T11. Nathan Woolard 73-73-68—214 (+1)
T15. Cameron Mobley 70-70-76—216 (+3)
T34. Patrick Powers 76-74-75—225 (+12)
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.
Sports Information Director
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College